Spring brings warmer weather and torrential rains that make your lawn grow and the world around you turn green. It’s an exciting time, but it’s also a time that creates challenges for your roof. As spring turns to summer, you’ll need to conduct proactive maintenance and repairs.
Here are a few things to look for as your roof enters the hottest part of the year:
- Poor Ventilation: If your attic is not properly ventilated, it will collect heat and moisture during the summer. This will rot your roof and significantly shorten its usable life. Make sure that your attic features an effective ventilation system, and double check that nothing is blocking these vents.
- Poor Insulation: Like ventilation, insulation is important for a high-functioning roof year-round. Poor insulation not only drives up your heating and cooling bills, but the hot and cold air that you leak into your attic can create all sorts of issues for your roof.
- Damaged Shingles: The sun’s UV rays beat down on your roof during long summer days. These rays shorten the life of your roof’s shingles, drying them out and cracking or curling them. Some shingles may fall off the roof altogether.
- Clogged Drains: After a spring of heavy rain, your roof’s drainage system may be filled with debris. Make sure that gutters and drains are clear and working properly as summer begins, ensuring that your roof can effectively clear precipitation.
- Encroaching Limbs: Everything grows throughout spring and summer. Keep an eye on trees and limbs near your roof. If they grow to the point that they reach your roof, a limb blowing in the wind can knock away shingles or otherwise damage your roof.
HomeStar Remodeling is your source for dependable roof maintenance, repairs, replacements and guidance. Get in touch if you have questions about summer roof maintenance or if you’d like help inspected your roof for warning signs.
Contact HomeStar Remodeling today for roof service and advice.